Anna*s Bananas

Contemplations & exclamations

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Chamonix France

From Basel, Avaleigh and I headed to Chamonix/Mont Blanc for some hiking and a birthday celebration!

We arrived and checked into a hostel and then decided to volunteer at the annual Chamonix Marathon. We enjoyed pizza and red wine for Avaleigh's birthday...a fair share of red wine...and then were awaken early to go and help with the race. It was hilarious because we had to hand out race packages, and my French is frankly, very poor. I learned how to say, "Pour la tshirt, quelle tie?", which meant what size of tshirt do you want. We then headed up the chair lift and awaited the arrival of the runners. It's a crazy route with over 1000m of elevation change. I think temperatures that day reached 32 degrees, and so the fastest time for the marathon was 3:52 and for the half was 1:54...crazy athletes. We then took the lift to the top of Le Brevent and had some photos, before hiking down. The next day, we took the train to Argentine and then hiked back to Chamonix and spent time by the pool. Yesterday, Avaleigh left early and hiked to the top of the first chair left and then I met her there at 9am. From here with climbed for another 90mins to Lac Blanc. A gorgeous spot, we stopped and had lunch. We then climbed back down and when Avaleigh took the lift (that I had taken in the morning) I ran back down to Chamonix through the forest trails.
We are now in Basel Switzerland, staying with a friend of Avaleigh's and making preparations to celebrate with other Canadians on July 1st.
Enjoy the photos and Happy Canada Day on Friday to all fellow Canadians!
Anna*

Avaleigh showing that she's "23" as we wait for our train to Chamonix
IMGP3184
The starting line in downtown Chamonix for the races...
IMGP3199
Avaleigh and I with our "organisation" shirts and Mont Blanc in the background
IMGP3212
Paragliders over the valley
IMGP3220
French lunch with a view
IMGP3223
Mont Blanc
IMGP3236
Snow in June
IMGP3240
Hike from Argentine to Chamonix
IMGP3250
Men must wear speedos sign at pool
IMGP3259
Lac Blanc
IMGP3266
IMGP3267
IMGP3268
IMGP3269
Taking the train to Basel...
IMGP3277
IMGP3278

2 Comments:

  • At June 30, 2005 at 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Anna,
    I don't think I have felt as jealous of you as I do now!

     
  • At July 1, 2005 at 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow,Anna and Avaleigh: Looks like you are having a great time. Happy birthday Avaleigh. I had a great week in Spain, and heard all about the high temps in France (~40°C), while we had great warm weather. Off to Durbs, and then Drakensberg with Anne. Thanks for the lovely Card!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home